Some of the links below may be affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
I must confess, for years I had a negative view of routine. Even as it was part of my daily life, instead of believing my routine was a source of self-empowerment I saw it as confining and restrictive. Is it friend or foe?
Of course, as a child and adolescent, I had little power over my daily routine. Only later, in college, I took control of my routine and came to appreciate the certainty it gave me.
But I did not fully comprehend the positive power of routine until I found myself without it.
What I’ve learned about routine:
- Like anything else we incorporate into our lives, can overpower us if we let it.
- It can add a much-needed measure of structure and flexibility, to awaken, nurture and give creativity room to grow.
- It can be a highly effective creative strategy.
Friend or Foe:
Routine becomes a foe if…
- Leaves no room for the unexpected
- Ties you to activities you aren’t passionate about
- It has been imposed by someone else
Routine becomes a friend when…
- It’s flexible and evolves with your wants and needs
- It’s centered around your creative passions
- It has been created and is periodically revised by you
The power to turn our routine into a friend or a foe lies with us. We have to take responsibility and be the masters of our routine!
This process is a mindful daily practice.
Stay tuned for an upcoming mini-course on the power of routine.